Selasa, 17 Maret 2009

Indonesian Old Currency Collection

Collecting older money, and collecting stamps usually go hand in hand. I was once a stamp collector, and I started collecting stamp when I was in grade 3 primary school. Well , that was way back when I was only like 9 years old. I was so fascinated by the varieties and the colors of many different stamps from all over the world. I remember at that time that I also bought a set of souvenir issued stamps which were not circulated stamps. Whenever I went abroad or when somebody did, I always asked for stamps as their gifts for me. This hobby lasted even when I studied in the States. I was so passionate to buy and collect most of the US stamps since they were easy to get in a philately stores, as long as you have the dollars to spend.

However, lately I had to leave this hobby because after many years collecting mint stamps, and put them in the albums, the mint stamp eventually had become sticky and fixed to the album. Maybe it had something to do with the humidity in Indonesia.
I was so disappointed and very upset to see all the years of collecting stamps had become a ruins. It was really a disaster for me to see most of them were very sticky and I couldn't do anything about it.

About 5 years ago, I began to have interest in collecting old Indonesian currencies. Much of my earlier purchases of old money was too expensive since I was not familiar with the world of numismatic yet. But the more I searched to complete certain series, the more challenging it got.
By talking, and discussing to many money traders, I began to learn more and more about the way of collecting old money as well as a mean of investment.

Finally , I became very much addicted to it and was willing to spend some of my time for old money hunting. The world was becoming more attractive when I realized that numismatic world was also available through websites, both local and international.
It was quite a surprise for me at first to see that the old Indonesian money was also traded in international arena, and it even came to my shock that the selling price for most old Indonesian market were much higher than they were sold locally. However, this is true only for the more regular series, not for the highly searched series like the animal series, "Coen" series as well as the "wayang" or "puppets" series. Not only they were priced at higher tags, but they were also in quite a high demands. That even made old money collecting became more interesting to me.
I realized that this was surely a great ways to invest for my future since the value of the old money keep increasing each and every year regardless the economical situation.

As collectors, usually we do not really mind about the price, as long as we can get what is in our demand given it is in good to excellent qualities.
So, what are you guys waiting for ? Let's join the world of Indonesian numismatic, you will surely have lots of fun, and by the way it is a good stress reliever, too. After all, money is only money....so relax ,hang loose and enjoy your life with positive things, and join the crowd in numismatic world.

Welcome friends.

1 komentar:

  1. Hi,

    I am looking for old and hard to find Indonesia Soekarno 1964 1000 rupiah note with penari serimpi behind. This notes come with special criteria.

    Please send me an email for more information.
    vckcship@yahoo.com
    Vincent

    BalasHapus